Addiction at DiscoveryMD
Signs & Effects of Cocaine Use
If you suspect someone is using cocaine, here are some signs to look out for:
- Sudden mood swings (extremely happy to angry and irritable)
- Intense hyperactivity
- Paranoia or always nervous
- Frequent nosebleeds or sniffles (for those who snort cocaine)
- Loss of smell
- Needle marks (for those injecting cocaine)
- Inadequate sleep patterns or not sleeping at all
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of motivation to go to school, work, etc.
Cocaine damages the body by negatively impacting the brain, stomach and heart. If injected, people run the risk of contracting HIV/AIDS or hepatitis through needles. Because people aren’t fully aware of what they are doing when they are high, unsafe sex can also occur. Overdose can lead to a heart attack or stroke and even death.